Two homes were damaged in fires in West Jackson in the past week.
The West Jackson Fire Department responded to a structure fire at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Sunday in Hoschton.
“Upon our unit’s arrival, we found a single story residence with smoke showing from the roof and front door,” Fire Chief Ben Stephens said. “All of the residents were out of the home. We made entry into the house and found smoke throughout the residence and fire in the kitchen.”
The crews extinguished the fire and checked for extension and pulled sheetrock. The home suffered major damage to the kitchen and had smoke damage throughout the home.
“Firefighters were able to retrieve family pets for the homeowner,” Stephens said. “After an overhaul was complete using traditional techniques and Thermal Imaging Cameras, the scene was turned over to the family. The family stated it was a cooking fire.”
The Jackson Trail Volunteer Fire Department and the Jackson County Correctional Institute responded to assist and Jackson County EMS Med 3 provided EMS support for this incident. There were no injuries.
On Friday, the West Jackson Fire Department responded to a structure fire this afternoon at 2:30 p.m. in Braselton. Upon arrival, crews found a single story structure, approx. 50 percent involved. All residents were out of the home.
“E-1 began an interior attack with a 1 3/4" line,” Stephens said. “S-3 backed up E-1 crew with second line. NJFD crews and E-2 relieved E-1 and finished fire attack. JCCI crew performed overhaul.”
The fire was contained to the hallway, front and back bedrooms on right side of house and the attic space above those areas. Smoke and heat damage occurred through the rest of the structure.
Georgia Fire Marshal's office investigator, Brian Smith, investigated the fire origin. He stated that he could not rule out the clothes dryer as the source of the fire. He stated that he believed the probable area of origin was near the dryer.
The North Jackson Fire Department, Jackson County Correctional Institute responded to assist and Jackson County EMS Med 3 provided EMS support for this incident.
There was one injury to an occupant at this incident. A male was transported by Med 3 to a Gainesville hospital for lacerations caused while exiting the structure prior to the firefighter’s arrival.