Commerce’s director of community improvement Lee Chastain is hospitalized in the burn unit at Cobb Medical Center following a mishap at a bonfire over the weekend.
City manager Pete Pyrzenski told his city council Monday night that a gasoline can caught on fire and Chastain suffered third-degree burns to his face, arms and legs.
“He was taken to the burn center and he had emergency surgery today,” Pyrzenski said.
Chastain underwent a skin graft, Pyrzenski explained.
“He’s in tremendous pain,” he said. “It is pretty hard for him.”