After several years of project planning, fundraising events, and construction, efforts of the Jackson County Historic Courthouse Committee, a group established by a resolution of the Jackson County Board of Commissioners on Dec. 17, 2007, will be revealed to the public.
The community is invited to the “grand re-opening” of the historic courthouse this Sunday, Aug. 10, in downtown Jefferson from 2:30 to 4 p.m. A brief program will take place including keynote remarks, acknowledgment of guests, musical tributes, a prayer, and a ribbon-cutting.
There will also be tours of the newly-restored first floor, including the welcome center and the archives/research room. Light refreshments will be provided.
The event is sponsored by Friends of the Historic Courthouse.
The building has been returned to reflect its presence in the year 1908, replete with artifacts, fixtures or memorabilia. Anyone who would like their items considered for this purpose are asked to send a description of the item and a photo, if possible, to the following e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to JCHC Restoration Committee, 67 Athens Street, Jefferson, GA 30549.
History books on John A. Darsey, James Pittman and James Jackson will be on display on Sunday and may be ordered for $25 each. The books were compiled and bound by Jacquelyn Hutchins Wilkes, retired attorney and wife of the late J.T. Wilkes, a former probate judge; local entrepreneur Vivian Scott; and Juli Wilkes Wisotsky. Proceeds from the book sales go to the restoration project.
The public will also find a book of marriages performed by J.T. Wilkes when he was probate judge. Wilkes officiated 19,961 marriages. The book will be on display in the old probate courtroom and the newlyweds’ names, ages and dates of their weddings will be available to view.