The Jackson EMC Foundation board of directors awarded a total $91,504 in grants during its January meeting, including $42,304 to organizations serving area residents. Grants included:
- $15,000 to Nothing but the Truth, a Dacula faith-based organization dedicated to meeting needs in the community, to purchase food for the Weekend Food Bag Program that provides food for the weekend to Gwinnett County public school children who have been identified by counselors as food insecure.
- $15,000 to Side By Side Brain Injury Clubhouse, Inc., a Stone Mountain nonprofit organization that helps individuals recovering from traumatic brain injury to regain employment and living skills, to provide rehabilitation services for adults from Gwinnett County who are permanently disabled by traumatic brain injury.
- $7,304 to Jefferson Lions Club, to purchase a spot vision screener for its Kidsight USA program in Jackson County, which provides trained volunteers to administer vision screenings to children in local schools.
- $2,500 to Cresswind LL Veterans, Inc., a Gainesville-based nonprofit serving veterans and their families, for its Helping Others Program, which focuses on helping with financial assistance, food, clothing, shelter and mentoring to needy and homeless veterans in Hall County.
- $2,500 to Spirit of Joy Food Pantry, in Flowery Branch, which distributes food to those in need in Banks, Barrow, Hall and Jackson counties, to purchase food.
Jackson EMC Foundation grants are made possible by the 194,495 participating cooperative members who have their monthly electric bills rounded to the next dollar amount through the Operation Round Up program. Their “spare change” has funded 1,476 grants to organizations and 386 grants to individuals, putting more than $15 million back into local communities since the program began in 2005.
Any individual or charitable organization in the ten counties served by Jackson EMC (Clarke, Banks, Barrow, Franklin, Gwinnett, Hall, Jackson, Lumpkin, Madison and Oglethorpe) may apply for a Foundation grant by completing an application, available online at https://www.jacksonemc.com/foundation-apply or at local Jackson EMC offices. Applicants do not need to be a member of Jackson EMC.