Do you ever feel like the weight of the world is on your shoulders? I’ve been there and I’m sure we all have at one time or the other. During those times it can be difficult to keep a positive outlook. There doesn’t seem to be an answer in sight. We may have hope for a brief period of time, …
Edna Mack will celebrate her 88th birthday, March 28. She lives in Colbert and is member of the Lighthouse Pentecostal Church. “Sis Edna has not missed a service she began attending Lighthouse March 1, 2015; she is greatly loved by her church family,” church leaders said.
Here is a running list of church service modifications and other event cancellations or modifications in Barrow County in response to the coronavirus pandemic. It will be updated frequently as submissions come in. Please email submissions to editor Scott Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VIRUS UPDATE: Week in review for April 1
- LETTER: How safe is safe when sheltering next to GRP?
- Filing deadline has been extended for three months to July 15
- LETTER: Please support farmers and support HB545
- THOMPSON: Stronger statewide action needed to address pandemic
- County, Auburn enact ‘stay-at-home’ orders, but Winder council holds off
- GHSA to decide on rest of spring sports season in coming weeks
- Clinton named all-state honorable mention
- Jefferson’s Blackstock, Radaker named to all-state teams
- The lost spring: Madison Co. players and coaches come to grips with coronavirus likely ending season
- GHSA to make decision over spring sports in the coming weeks
- Hall of Fame college baseball coach Polk speaks in Winder
- Coronavirus update: First Barrow County death from coronavirus reported; seven cases overall
- Madison County has third coronavirus case
- Madison Co. has first COVID-19 death
- Braselton directs residents to stay at home, non-essential businesses to close
- Coronavirus update: Barrow County issues stay-at-home order; 'non-essential' businesses ordered to close; Winder to vote on new order Tuesday
- Coronavirus update: City of Auburn issues stay-at-home order in conjunction with Gwinnett County
- Preacher's wife also tests positive for COVID-19
- State reports second coronavirus case in Madison County
- STATE UPDATE: First positive COVID-19 case confirmed in Jackson County
- Coronavirus update: 19 confirmed Barrow County cases; statewide total surpasses 4,000, more deaths reported
I walked into a local grocery store on Saturday evening to pick up a gallon of milk, and that store was a sight to behold. Empty shelves. People with their carts stacked to the brim, and limits on certain items. I’ll admit if I were looking at this coronavirus scare through the eyes of my fl…
At times I’ve talked to people who think they have to clean up their lives before they start a relationship with Jesus. I do my best to convince them that He will meet us exactly where we are. We will never be good enough without the righteousness of Christ.
•Rogers Baptist Church, 1890 Rogers Church Road, Commerce, (Madison County) will have revival services, Sunday, March 22, through Thursday, March 26. The Sunday night service will be at 6:30 p.m. and Monday through Thursday night services will be at 7 p.m. There will be a different speaker e…
I marvel at the miracles Jesus performed in the Bible. In John 11 we read the story of two grieving sisters, Mary and Martha. They’d called for Jesus, but their brother, Lazarus, had been dead four days before the Lord arrived. I imagine they had no hope, but this parable reminds me that the…
Homer Baptist Church will be holding the first annual Spring Bazaar on Saturday, April 25, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the church parking lot. The bazaar will feature crafts, food, activities for children and much more, organizers state.
The Mt. Carmel Baptist Church monthly brotherhood breakfast and fellowship meeting will be held at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 8.
•New Beginning Worship Center, Hwy. 98 West, Danielsville, has the following upcoming events. The church planning committee will meet at the home of Ann Epps, 334 Hwy. 174 (near Ila) Friday, Feb. 28, at 6:30 p.m. A home Bible study gathering is set for Sunday, March 1, at the home of Raymond…
“You know your mom will give you some of the greatest advice you’ll ever receive.” That’s what I recently told a group of teens who all seem to have great parents. They seemed to have a hundred questions when I made that statement. “Yes, the mom who monitors your cell phone almost daily, and…
Galilee Christian Church Senior Minister Nick Vipperman presented Hope Resource Pregnancy Center with a check for $5,000. The church had a special message on February 16 focused on the value of life, from the cradle to the grave. It was following this message that the church came together to…
Have you ever stood in the gap for a person who needs a touch from the Lord? At times we may find ourselves going through a battle, but thanks be to the Lord, we do not have to go through the battle alone. God sends prayer warriors who will pray on our behalf. During that time we stand in the gap.
What’s so important about the way we spend our time? As the moments of the day roll on, we can’t get them back. Let us use them wisely, and in everything, be about the work of the Lord.
•A gospel singing will be held at the Gospel Tabernacle, Watson Mill Road, Carlton, Saturday, Feb. 8, 7 p.m., featuring the Watkins Family from Toccoa, along with The Southern Travelers from Carlton. “Come and bring a friend to this free concert with love offering for featured group,” said o…
I sat there holding her hand and I began to think. God has given her so many years and she has blessed so many people! Now it looks as if God is preparing her for a homecoming.
•Ila Baptist Church will host the Carolina Crossmen, a Southern Gospel Trio, in concert Sunday, Jan. 26, at 11 a.m. “The Carolina Crossmen have been singing together for over 25 years,” church leaders said. “Originally a quartet, the group became a trio in 2013 and are currently planning to …
I recently sent a package through the mail. I was careful to put bubble wrap all around it. I even bought an envelope with extra padding. When I arrived at the post office I let them know that it was fragile. Quickly the postal worker marked it, “Fragile: Handle with care.” There are times I…
Bush River Baptist Church will have a “What’s On Your Mind” boys’ and mens’ program from 10 a.m. to noon on Saturday, January 25.
LEWIS - At times I feel as if I am a spectator in my life. It’s like I’m looking down and events are transpiring before me. We all have rules and regulations in everyday life; still we make a multitude of decisions every day. Most importantly, we decide if we are going to make choices in our…