A1 A1

The Madison County High School graduating class of 1956 held its 63rd class reunion Aug. 24 at the Ila Restaurant in Ila. Pictured (back row, L-R) are J. H. Wood, Calvin Wood, Milton Hill, David Walls, Jimmy Chastain, Royce Fitzpatrick, Charles Collins (middle row L-R) Larry Hart, Odis Graham, Max Sartain, Jimmy Porterfield, Stuart Massey, (front row) Peggy Belk Izquierolo, Anne Stovall Epps, Dellie Jean Murray Cowart, Eleanor Walls Turnbull, Norma Adams Arnold, Ann Gordon Rowe and Mary Ellen Phelps Fowler. In lieu of the class’s monthly breakfast and fellowship, class members, spouses and friends will meet at the home of Alton and Ann Rowe, 3027 Moon’s Grove Church Road Tuesday, Dec. 10, at 1 p.m. for a potluck lunch and fellowship with each other. “It’s always a pleasurable experience to enjoy the Rowes’ lovely decorations for Christmas and the camaraderie and wonderful fellowship with our classmates of 1956,” class member Anne Epps said. “By the way, they have a very nice ramp to use for walkers and wheelchairs!”

Navy veterans Roy Gandy (L) (1948-1952) and James Adams (R) (1952) share a laugh as District 47 State Senator Frank Ginn looks on at a Veterans Day event at the county library Monday.

School system plans to educate the public on importance of 2020 Census

Superintendent Michael Williams told board of education members Tuesday, Nov. 12 that the school system plans to develop ways to help inform parents and the community on the importance of participating in the upcoming 2020 Federal Census. He said the official start date for the Census collection is April 1. He noted that population numbers reflected in the Census will have a direct effect on federal funding for schools making it important that every person who resides in the county is counted.

In other news, he told the board that State Superintendent Richard Woods plans to have a Thanksgiving lunch at Comer Elementary School on Wednesday, Nov. 20 and he invited board members to attend.

The calendar committee, headed this year by Assistant Superintendent Jody Goodroe, plans to have two versions of the 2020-2021 school calendar for the board to review by February.

He also said the school system is looking into installing air conditioning on at least some of the school bus fleet. He said quotes will be gathered to install the a/c system on busses with the longest routes first.

Williams noted that there were 4,793 students on the county roster last month, up 20 students from the previous month.


BOE members approved the following personnel requests Tuesday night.

•Central office – They approved FMLA for school psychologist Laureen Anne Kurtze.

•Colbert – They approved additional duties as tutors for Mary Ellen Baker, Amanda Carter, Lori Dooley, Tracey Evans, Jenny Heath, Jennifer Hubbard, Tara McGaha, Angie Ruff, Allison Whitehead and Megan Whitworth.

•Comer – They approved additional duties in the BEYOND program for Ivie Dean.

•Hull-Sanford – They approved hiring Gregory Magrum to replace tech specialist Jenna Hill.

•Ila – They granted intermittent FMLA to teacher Amy Dobbs, approved the resignation of parapro Laura Scott and approved Denise Tiecken as a long-term sub for teacher Mallory Jordan.

•MCHS – They approved FMLA for teacher Kaye May.

•School nutrition – They hired Stacie Konkle to replace Ila nutrition worker Donna Butler and they hired Amanda Poole to replace Hull nutrition worker Robin Hendrix. They approved FMLA for nutrition worker Megan Sorrow.

•Transport – They changed special ed bus driver Brenda Duncan’s duties from full-time to half-time.

‘Child Safety Day’ set for Nov. 16 at Ila VFD

“Child Safety Day” will be held Nov. 16, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. at the Ila Volunteer Fire Department off Hwy. 98.

The event is sponsored by the Pilot Club of Madison County in cooperation with the Madison County Sheriff’s Department and the Ila Volunteer Fire Department

Seats will be checked for recall, the overall safety fit to the child and proper installation. Parents and guardians will be instructed on proper installation and use. Unsafe seats or seats that are out of date will be replaced at no cost to the parent or guardian. Parents or guardians, the child and the vehicle in which seat is to be installed must be present for the “Safety Seat Check.”

According to Georgia’s “Child Passenger Safety Restraint Law,” all children under 8 years of age must be properly secured in an approved car seat or booster seat while riding in a car, van, SUV, and pickup truck. By law, children 6 to 7 years of age must be properly secured with a booster seat rather than just a seat belt until they are 57 inches tall.

Madison Co. deputy charged with murder

A Madison County deputy faces a murder charge following a domestic incident in Clarke County Nov. 10.

Winford “Trey” Adams III, 32, was charged with murder after Benjamin Lloyd Cloer, 26, Athens, was found shot multiple times at the 6000 block of Old Jefferson Road. Cloer was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department has not released what weapon was used in the incident.

According to a press release from the Madison County Sheriff’s Office, “Adams turned himself in without incident to one of our Madison County lieutenants who arrived on scene to assist ACCPD officers. Upon conclusion of the investigation, Adams was transported to the Clarke County Jail and charged with murder.”

Madison County Sheriff Michael Moore said Monday morning that Adams had worked a shift Sunday.

“No one had any idea that he would do something like this or that anything was wrong,” he said. "...Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim's family."

Moore said Adams was employed at the sheriff’s office for approximately one-and-a-half years.

Chief Deputy Jeffrey Vaughn said Adams came to the sheriff’s office from Statesboro and “was given high recommendations from that agency.

“We have never had to discipline him as a deputy sheriff,” he said. “He’s been a model employee.”

Vaughn said Sheriff Moore immediately suspended Adams at the scene and once an interview with Athens police was conducted, he was terminated.

“Trey was assigned to the patrol division as a deputy sheriff and had never had a single complaint for any type of use of force,” said Vaughn. “To be honest, we are all blown away by this reaction to a ‘crime of passion.’ At any rate we do not justify or sympathize Trey’s actions for this horrific offense. Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim’s family.”

‘Right place, right time’: Hull volunteer firemen save man’s life at fire hall

Today (Thursday, Nov. 14) is Artie Kerns’ 59th birthday. It’s a birthday he probably wouldn’t be around to celebrate if it weren’t for the efforts of some Hull firefighters.

Saturday, Oct. 26, began like most other Saturdays in the Kerns’ Oglethorpe County home. Kerns’ wife Christy left for work about 9 a.m.

“When I left, Artie seemed just fine,” she said. He’d followed her to the kitchen door for a goodbye kiss and then went to take a shower. The only difference, looking back, the Kerns now say, was in their cats. Both are animal lovers, and Artie has a particular affinity for cats.

“Those cats were all over Artie,” Christy said. “He was sitting on the couch before I left and they were just all over him.” When he followed her to the kitchen, they followed too, right on his heels and around his legs.

“It was a lot more affection than usual,” Christy said. “It’s like they knew something was going on with him.”

Artie agrees, making a joke out of it now.

“I say they were trying to give me a ‘cat scan’ and nobody was paying attention,” he says smiling. “They knew something was up with me. We’ll pay more attention to them next time.”

And something was up, something big.

About 15 or 20 minutes later, Christy got a phone call from her husband, saying he didn’t feel so well and asking her to drop by his office to pick up his blood pressure meds, which he’d left at work on Friday. Both work for Oconee County, she as the event coordinator for the Civic Center and he as the county’s maintenance supervisor.

“When I got out of the shower and I felt a sharp tingling run down both my arms,” Kerns said. “It hit me just like that.” He also began to sweat profusely. At first, he thought his blood pressure was spiking because he hadn’t taken his meds, but then he became sick to his stomach and light-headed.

His sister-in-law was at their house doing laundry, so he told her he wasn’t feeling well and wouldn’t be able to help her and his older brother Danny work on their home that day. Suzy asked if he needed anything and he told her he thought he’d be OK, so she left, telling him she’d be back shortly.

“I guess I was gone about 30 minutes,” Suzy said. When she came back she noticed Artie was pale and clammy when she touched his forehead. At that point she told Artie he had to go to the hospital or at least to an urgent care. She and Danny loaded Artie into their small SUV and started toward Piedmont Athens Regional. As they traveled, Suzy was on the phone with Christy, who immediately left work and headed toward Piedmont to meet them at the emergency department.

Artie, who was sitting in the backseat, says the last thing he remembers about that morning was the SUV turning onto Hwy. 72 in Colbert. Then he blacked out.

“The next thing I knew I was waking up in cardiac intensive care,” Artie said.

Meanwhile Suzy, who was driving, was keeping an eye on her brother-in-law in the rear view mirror when she saw his eyes roll back in his head and his body slump over to one side. She said Danny tried to wake him as she continued to race toward Athens.

They were passing by the water tower in Hull when she remembers praying, “Lord you’ve got to help me.”

“I thought I was watching Artie die, I just knew we weren’t going to make it to the hospital,” Suzy said. “Then it just hit me, I needed to head to the fire department.”

She told Danny where they were going as they made the turn onto Old Elberton Road. She didn’t take time to think about it or whether or not someone would be there, she said she just knew that’s where she had to go.

For Hull Fire Department members, it was a big day — the day of their barbecue fundraiser and the whole fire department was there to help.

“I just pulled up honking the horn and started yelling,” Suzy said. “Danny opened the back door and they all came running.”

Hull Fire Chief Jason Austin said fire department members were scattered around the fire department that morning. Some were in the kitchen, others at the fire pit and still others setting up tables, etc. when the Kerns drove into the parking lot.

“Frank Edwards, Jim Creager and Kenny Weaver were the first to get to them,” Austin said. “Frank got the AED (Automated External Defibrillator) while Jim and Kenny administered CPR. Mr. Kerns was fully coded when he arrived.”

Someone else got on the radio and called for an ambulance, which arrived soon after.

Austin said he’s been with the fire department 21 years and it’s the first time to his knowledge that a situation like that has come to them.

“It’s a very rare occasion for something like that to happen,” Austin said. “Usually, we are coming to your home, I am just thankful that we were there (at the fire hall) that morning.”

Austin said being able to make a difference — in this case to save a life — is why they do what they do.

As soon as the firemen reached the car, Artie was carefully laid out on the pavement and CPR got underway, which included the administration of the AED to establish a heart rhythm.

Meanwhile, Christy was waiting and worrying at the hospital. She and Suzy were on the phone with each other but kept getting disconnected.

“I kept putting it (cell phone) on mute without realizing it and hanging up,” Suzy said chuckling. “Christy was just so calm, she just kept telling me to breathe.”

Christy said she kept remembering how her late mother, a first responder, always handled things.

“She saw it all and she always told me to just remember to breathe, so that’s what I did and what I kept telling Suzy to do,” she said.

When Madison County EMS arrived at the hospital with Artie, he was conscious, but confused, Christy said. After a few quick tests, he was taken into the cardiac cath lab, where the family later learned that he had coded again, requiring the use of an AED a second time. After he was stabilized, a cardiologist placed stents in two arteries, one that was 100 percent blocked and another that was 99 percent blocked.

“All of that took place in just over an hour,” Christy said, shaking her head. “When Artie started asking me about how long it had been I was surprised when I looked at my watch and saw it wasn’t even 11 a.m. yet. So much had happened in such a short time.”

On Monday, Artie received two more stents in a third artery that was 85 percent blocked.

Today, Artie looks like a perfectly fit man, clear-eyed with a healthy complexion. He says he feels great, but is following his doctor’s orders and taking it easy, one day at a time. He will soon start cardiac rehabilitation and expects to return to work in a few weeks.

“God just had everything in place,” Christy said of the day she nearly lost her husband, her voice breaking. “They (firemen) were all there, all of them and they saved his life. How do you thank someone for something like that?”

Last week, Artie and Christy made a stop at the Hull Fire Department to try to do just that. Once again, all the fireman were there, this time for their monthly meeting and a chili dinner.

“Volunteer firemen and first responders don’t get the credit they deserve for what they do,” Christy said. “They leave their homes, their jobs at a moment’s notice to answer a call for help, to try to make a difference in their communities. What they do, as volunteers, is invaluable.”

Kerns is a hunter and he said he plans to give the firemen a wild hog as a small token of the gratitude he and his entire family feels.

“I mean; how do you ever repay someone for saving your life?” Artie said.