Dirty Spokes Productions, a southeastern athletic events company dedicated to 12-hour mountain bike and trail running races, will hold its first annual XTERRA fall fitness 5K trail race at the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center on October 4 at 8:30 a.m. Entry fees are $25 through September 25 and $30 between September 26 and October 2. Race day registration is $35. Each participant will receive a Zorrrel Dri Balance shirt as part of the race registration. Packet pickup will be the morning of the race starting at 7:00 a.m.
Tim Schroer of Dirty Spokes Productions said the course will be great for first time trail runners.
“The terrain is made up of a little bit of everything,” Schroer said. “It is mostly moderate to easy with about a half mile of the course being on paved surface. It has rolling hills, climbs, single track and double track. The course is beautiful and offers something for every runner truly wishing to 'ditch the city'.”
Dirty Spokes will be handing out cash, medals and prizes to the top three male and female finishers for each race. Medals will also be awarded to the top three male and female finishers in each age group.
Due to high turnout for the three XTERRA races in 2008, Dirty Spokes Productions has expanded its race offerings to six for this season. The company hosts the Georgia portion of the XTERRA national trail series.
Other races this season include:
• November 8th, 2008 - XTERRA Battle at Big Creek 3.5 Mi / 7.0 Mi, Roswell, Ga.
• February 28th, 2009 - XTERRA Thrill In The Hills 21K, Fort Yargo State Park, Winder, Ga.
• March 7th, 2009 - XTERRA Running The Rocks 10K, Georgia Int. Horse Park, Conyers, Ga.
• April 25th, 2009 - XTERRA Chicopee Woods 10K, Chicopee Woods / Elachee Nature Center, Gainesville, Ga.
• June 7th, 2009 - XTERRA Deep South 15K, Dauset Trails, Jackson, Ga.